How are we told we SHOULD feel in motherhood, versus how do we truly feel in motherhood?
We spend a lot of time and energy living in default emotions, while hustling to shift away from uncomfortable emotions and into more comfortable emotions. I want to open up your options for empowering emotions that you can feel in motherhood, emotions that generate capacity instead of exhaustion. And I want to have the conversation about HOW we are meeting our emotional needs in effective or ineffective ways.
Covered in this episode:
Our emotional experience matters
What memories are you making in motherhood (and how it can change your motherhood experience)
day after day of feeling overwhelmed in our bodies
Is Self-Care the Answer When Motherhood Sucks?
Our emotions need to be addressed
when we address how we feel and what we do with those feelings, we gain power and opportunities
Do we have basic emotional needs?
What we are TOLD we will feel in motherhood (what we go into motherhood expecting to feel) versus what we actually feel in motherhood
114. Being a Mom, on Purpose (it’s not about happy, obedient kids)
Should ‘Happy Kids’ Be Our Parenting Goal?
156. 3 things to know about feeling negative emotions
What most moms say they want to feel in motherhood
66. Are you stuck in the hustle for happiness? Finding contentment in momlife
69. Will a simpler home bring me peace?
What getting dressed each day taught me about meeting my emotional needs
The Baby That Always Cried (Our Story With Esophagitis)
Mothering Through Anxiety
God’s Grace Through Difficult Parenting
the moms30for30 posts
When I Instagrammed My Own Life, and Not My Kids
Chasing happiness and peace vs other emotions we could be pursuing in our day
Emotional needs of motherhood
Questions to ask yourself:
How are you meeting that emotional need? In an effective way or an ineffective way?
Where are you in terms of meeting this need (shut off the need and avoid needing it, or overcompensate and need a lot of it?)
Some emotional needs you might not be aware you have:
When I realized I wasn’t a lazy mom, I was just overwhelmed
129. Does your ‘to-do list’ overwhelm you? Expectation overwhelm and how to handle it.
Productivity Needs A Purpose
149. How to find what matters to you (uncovering your personal values)
170. Planning the Day (reactive vs proactive, tools and approaches I use)
Making motherhood harder than it needs to be (Mom Martyr)
62. My husband put the groceries away wrong, he doesn’t care about me (love languages and expectations in marriage)
Being confident in the mom you are
115. A Controlling mom, or a capable mom?
do you withhold joy from yourself?
138. Is momlife UNFUN? How to be a more FUN MOM, stop withholding fun from yourself
When Did I Stop Enjoying My Kids? (and my journey back to enjoying them)
Finding Joy In Your Every Day (#theperfectmomentsproject)
Contentment, happiness, joy
Things to consider
all our actions are us trying to meet our needs the best we know how, and we are all trying to feel more of what we WANT to feel and less of what we DON'T want to feel
Our thoughts, feelings and actions are all interrelated
Our use of our emotional energy matters
Towards and Away Motivation
Staying connected over the summer
Catch up on the Spotify Playlists
The Facebook group, reopened if you were wanting to join it
Follow along Instagram
Join the Simple Saturdays email, the virtual coffee date with your Nerdy Girlfriend
Full transcript (unedited)